Thursday, June 23, 2005

Flag Burning: Do We Really Need This Right?

I think I can safely say that I have no intention of ever burning a flag, particularly the American one. But really any flag in general is probably safe near me.

Republicans have proposed a bill that would make such an action (at least for the American flag) illegal. Should I even care? The law, on one level, will probably never affect me.

On the other side of the aisle, some Democrats worry that this infringes on our civil liberties. Flag burning was a widely reported form of protest in the 1960s to argue against continued involvement in the Vietnam War. People felt so strongly against what the federal government was doing, that they felt burning the most common symbol for Uncle Sam was the only way to explain their frustration.

Here’s my thinking: Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes once said about personal rights: “The right to swing my fist ends where the other man’s nose begins.”

I believe any removal of civil liberties should be guided by just such a thought. If it’s hurting others, then we must considering removing it. But who does it hurt if the flag is burned? Really! Who?

No comments: