Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The Boob Tube Strikes Again

In a study of third graders, children with a television in their bedrooms had lower scores on standardized tests while children with access to a home computer had higher scores, researchers report.

Children who watch the most television during childhood and adolescence may be less likely to finish school or go on to earn a university degree, according to a study.

And television viewing before the age of three may have adverse effects on subsequent cognitive development, according to another study.

Bottom line: Uh, no idea. My brain shut off back on the third word. Damn 30-second attention span! (The links above lead to the original press releases. Here is some media coverage of the research, published in the Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So do you think this is all TV that does this? I mean it pains me to think that Mr. Rogers & Sesame Street were really poisoning my brain when I was little... so maybe PBS gets and exemption here.

I think I have read something in a previous study that mentioned how it's the fast moving colors and activity that is harmful to the mental development of young children. I think PBS is careful about this so Sesame Steet is still safe!

I also have to say that if it were not for He-Man and Mighty Mouse I would be the person I am today :-)

wallowmuddy said...

don't forget gummi bears! ooh! And smurfs and captain planet. And I LOVED Square 1 and 3-2-1 Contact. (humming: whenever there's trouble ... we're there on the double ... we're the bloodhound gang!)

it's all about moderation...

Anonymous said...

Ah Chris, finally you grace Emily with your presence. I too read a study about the fast motion, and I believe you are correct, that Sesame street compensates for it by moving more slowly. We all know Mr. Rogers moved at a snails pace, and we all seemed to have grown up to be intelligent college graduates, so it does seem that a few exceptions are in order. Though my brother is seriously A.D.D., and would be happy to blame TV for it.