Thursday, August 11, 2005

Double-Bagged Life

Can each of you, all 2 of my readers, please do something for me? Stop the double bagging! Today it was a double bagged 6-pack of orange soda. Yesterday, they double-bagged my 6 rolls of toilet paper. Both products can make it home in one bag, but the plastic generosity of my grocer means I receive 2 bags every time, whether or not the weight of the item necessitates it. (Better still, bring cloth bags, something I have yet to remember to do but is a great way to avoid the waste.)

In more upbeat environmental news, Dannon is getting rid of plastic lids on its yogurt. This is a brilliant marketing scheme (they’re contributing to Toys for Tots instead) and saving 3.6 million pounds of plastic. Yay!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, you have more than two readers. :)

In State College there is no double-bagging. And they ask before bagging your milk/laundry detergent/whatever big item.

wallowmuddy said...

Is that a law? No double bagging? That would be great!

Anonymous said...

Somehow most of the grocery stores around here (Gristedes, Whole Foods) know the exact dimensions of my trash cans and size their bags accordingly. So if not doing the "reduce" part of the "reduce, reuse, recycle", we are at least doing the "reuse" part.